Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thoughts on thriving...

I worked on an art journal page last night which was the culmination of about ten days of mulling a word over in my mind. The word was "to thrive" and according to Merriam-Webster online  here are the definitions.

thrive
intransitive verb
1: to grow vigorously : flourish
2: to gain in wealth or possessions : prosper
3: to progress toward or realize a goal despite or because of circumstances —often used with on (thrives on conflict)

Examples of THRIVE
   1. these plants thrive with relatively little sunlight
   2. going to a school for gifted students will help him thrive as a musical prodigy

Origin of THRIVE
Middle English, from Old Norse thrīfask, probably reflexive of thrīfa to grasp
First Known Use: 13th century

I considered how thriving applies to me and this is my interpretation in my art journal. Besides the obvious message contained in the words, there is symbolic meaning there for me when I look at this page. The art doll in the pajamas for example, the different type of birds, birds hidden in the grass and the chunky wooden letters that spell out thrive. I had no preconceived idea as to what I would create, but let my thoughts guide my hands and just do what felt right. To me that is what art journaling is all about. Expressing something which needs more than words.


Credits can be found here

I will spend some time in the studio today working with paints, now that I cleared my mind and allowed "thrive" to percolate through me and expressed what it means to me.

No comments: